We would love to hear from you. Please review the following and tell us about your experience and passion for this work. We’ll be taking nominations until May 29 (feel free to self-nominate). Offers will be extended by June 30 and a board retreat and training will be conducted by the end of the summer
1. WHO WE ARE
Over the past decade, we at Outdoor Afro have strived to change the face of outdoor recreation and conservation by breaking down barriers to access, empowering communities, and cultivating new leaders.
We are in unprecedented times that are deeply affecting our industry and community members. But… we see this as an opportunity. Individuals across the United States and the world are appreciating the value of nature in a way that is heretofore unprecedented. We currently have dynamic leadership and a strong early board with reputable, connected, and high-performing members, but are ready to scale up our organization, and our board. to a new level to serve our audience.
2. WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for people who want to be part of building a next chapter of increased impact, growth, and sustainability for Outdoor Afro.
An ideal Outdoor Afro board member is … A multi-hyphenate who lives for the joy of outdoor recreation and the excitement of business transformation An owner of an informed imagination that allows them to be both relentlessly strategic and openly innovative, able to pivot and move and envision new ways of potential impact A bridge-builder who can forge alliances, challenge norms, and cultivate influence A person who is committed in the true sense of the word, manifested in time and financial resources, but also ultimately showing up for the organization, other members, and the cause.
Previously experienced and effective as a board member, including:
• experienced on a for-profit business board or complex nonprofit board
• understanding of, and belief in, effective and leading practices in board governance
• has skills in effective inquiry to further group discussion and understanding of issues and opportunities
A good fit with the values and culture of Outdoor Afro, including:
• belief in the importance and power of the centering of Blackness
• a pull towards discovery and enjoyment of active outdoor recreation
• an expertise in products and services in the outdoor or lifestyle industries
A professional with one or more of the following backgrounds:
• Financial acumen
• Entrepreneurial leadership
• Social enterprise leadership
• Active lifestyle industry experience
• Live in or near regions served by a significant number of Outdoor Afro events, especially southeastern states, Chicago, New York, Boston, San Francisco Bay Area and Denver
3. WHAT WE WILL ASK OF YOU
An ideal Outdoor Afro board member will…
Inform our strategic direction, oversee our financial health, and ensure that best practices in management and leadership are followed
Commit to a multi-year term of representing the best interests of the organization, its staff, its partners and its volunteers
Be willing to help make connections to secure funds or willing to make a personally significant financial contribution
Collaborate with current board members and cultivate new members
Be willing to devote sufficient time to their duties and responsibilities, which include (among other duties):
• attendance at four virtual board meetings per year
• attendance to at least one Outdoor Afro event annually
• be prepared to serve to the end of their term
Assume expense for travel, lodging, and miscellaneous expenses associated with events and meetings.
We would love to hear from you. Please click the link below and tell us about your experience and passion for this work. We’ll be taking nominations until May 29 (feel free to self-nominate). We’ll acknowledge receipt of all submissions and reach back out in early June for more information to those that appear to be the best fit at this time for advancement in the process. Offers will be extended by June 30 and a board retreat and training will be conducted by the end of the summer.