5 Free Outdoor Activities To Do This Weekend
Getting outdoors does not have to require a lot of time or money, but they are the biggest reported barriers among Outdoor Afros. With these fun, and mostly free options below, you can get your outdoor fix on, without sacrificing an entire weekend or your piggy bank.
1. Hike – Check out the options near you via local city parks, rec/nature centers, and National Parks. Do pack a snack and plenty of water to take with you!
2. Stargaze – In some parts of the country, the evenings are the best time to be outside. Grab a loved one, and take a slow stroll near where you live, or drive to more remote areas for a better view with less city light competition.
3. Backyard Cook-Out – Grilling meats and veggies outdoors always feels like a treat, and is much less fuss and clean-up than kitchen cooking. Bonus points for eating outside on a blanket and inviting the neighbors over to share!
4. Ride a Bike or Skate – Time to pull out that bike or pair of skates you’ve had in storage for the last five years! Spray a bit of WD-40 to loosen up the rusty bits, and away you can go! Don’t forget water and a helmet!
5. Bird Watch – Contact your local Audubon Society for a list of birds local to your area. They may even have a pair of binoculars you can borrow too! Challenge your companions to find their “best” bird or count how many of the same species you find.
What other activities can you think of that are free and easy to do in the outdoors?